History of the Moss Bluff Pentecostals
In the summer of 1949, a gospel tent was set up beside the Calcasieu River near the old highway bridge in Moss Bluff. The ensuing revival laid the groundwork for the establishing of MBPchurch.
A small wood framed building was later constructed on Long Road and a Brother Booth was elected the first pastor. In 1950, T. E. Ewing, having been recently elected pastor at English Bayou, became pastor in Moss Bluff also and served both churches for about a year and a half.
In 1953, A. A. Haymon, Sr. became pastor in Moss Bluff and served for 21 years. Soon a larger property was purchased at Highway 378 and Gilmore Road and the original building was moved from Long Road. In 1960, a new sanctuary and education building was completed.
Steve McMullen became pastor in 1974 and served until 1984. During his tenure, the adjacent property on Reeves Road was purchased and in July of 1979, a new sanctuary was completed.
In June of 1984, Arthur Hodges, Jr. assumed the pastorate and served for 13 years. During their pastorate, Pastor and Mrs. Hodges led the church in retiring the original mortgage as well as extensive remodeling of the entire church facility.
Upon Pastor Hodges’ retirement in 1997, Tim Mahoney was elected pastor. Since that time, the church has undergone another complete renovation of all facilities. The original parsonage was restructured into a conference room, now called the LifeHouse, and is currently being used for Life Studies classes. During Tim Mahoney’s tenure the Moss Bluff Pentecostal church celebrated 60 years of ministry in the same location. He pastored for 17 years and retired in 2014.
On September 7th, 2014, MBPchurch elected Jared Pugh as its new pastor. His vision for this church is to see it grow to a multi-generational, multi-cultural, spirit-filled and spirit-led church. His mantra for this church is Faith, Family, and Purpose. Through this vision we believe God will bring this church to new heights and allow us to be the brightest light for this city.
Two additional lots have been purchased behind the existing property and plans are being made for expansion. The history of MBPchurch is a rich one and for that we give glory to God!